Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Past, Present, Future

Some days just are not nearly as fulfilling as others.

Today I was tasked with 341 Meetings of Creditors, which is a highly routine event in which the clients meet with the trustee in bankruptcy. For chapter 7 bankruptcies, the ideal outcome is one involving a finding of no assets. There's lots of jargon and etc., but generally most cases are straightforward.

One gets me is how, well, care-worn most of the trustees are. I have met only one trustee who I would classify as even remotely personable. Put it this way: if I was at a bar, sitting at the bar enjoying my drink and watching a game, and any one of most of the trustees I encounter would sit down next to me and order a beer, I would probably get up and move.

Most of them I have met (one exception) just seem, well, sad - careworn, unhappy, and overall miserable.

It worries me, a little bit - what is my future going to be like? Here I am, 25, finally starting my career; where am I going to be, who am I going to be, in ten or fifteen years? If I met the future me know, would I even like me?

I look back at the younger "me's," and I can still see the seeds of the current "me." I might try to talk some sense into my past self, but other than that, I probably wouldn't change a lot.

But if I were to wind up like some of the trustees I meet . . . well, I really don't like that thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment